By EDD K. USMAN, SDN, Twitter @edd1819
CHINESE tech giant Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. has filed another trademark in the operating system (OS) category in the European Union (EU).
The OS is called “Harmony” even as the company, which is fighting off the United States’ trade blacklist, had already filed multiple trademarks in the OS category at intellectual property (IP) agencies in some EU countries.
Harmony was tagged as a mobile OS.
It can be recalled that Huawei already filed across the globe’s IP organizations the long-rumored OS dubbed “Hongmeng”. Still another IP filing of the tech firm exclusively in the EU is “Ark OS in the OS category, too.
Huawei Central reported this today, July 15, in an article written by Deng Li.
The filings comes in the wake of the United States government’s blacklist of Huawei, which prohibited American companies from supplying the Chinese tech titan with components and software.
Huawei had been sourcing chips, among others, from some U.S. companies among them from Intel, Qualcomm and others, as well as software from Google (Android OS), and social media applications the likes of Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
U.S. President Donald Trump had earlier issued an executive order that effectively banned Huawei from American communications network.
After the Republican President’s order, the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security Entity List added Huawei on May 15.
His order was due to concerns about allegations that Huawei’s equipment might be used to spy on other countries. Huawei has repeatedly denied this.
However, Trump gave a 90-day reprieve for U.S. companies to conduct business deals with Huawei, the world’s No. 1 telecoms equipment maker and vendor, beating out Ericsson; Huawei is the global No. 2 in smartphone sales, passing the American Apple company, and is nearing Samsung, the No. 1.
Then, at the sidelines of the G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan, on June 29 last month, Trump loosen further the noose on the Chinese tech giant, re-allowing American companies to continue supplying Huawei with technologies.
On the other hand, Huawei leaders’ response to the American Chief Executive’s easing of restrictions was subdued, or even cold.
One reason, SDN — Science and Digital News learned, was that Trump’s statements from the G20 Summit was still covered by the 90-day timeline for U.S. companies to transact business with Huawei.
“He (Trump) may still change his mind,” a Filipino executive of Huawei said.
Meanwhile, other Huawei Central news cited an American official’s (Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross) statement “that companies will receive additional licenses to restart shipping to Huawei.”
And it could come in two to four weeks’ time, it noted the reports.
Still another news report cited by Huawei Central authored by Lu Han, said the Chinese company, founded by former People’s Liberation Army (PLA) engineer, and now CEO, Ren Zhengfei, was “planning”to cut a huge number of employees from its facilities in the U.S.
Whether this is some form of getting back at American was not mentioned in the article.
“The layoffs are expected to affect jobs at Huawei’s U.S.-based research and development (R&D) subsidiary Futurewei Technologies, which employs about 850 people in research labs across the U.S.,” Huawei Central in a quote of an article that originally came out in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ)