Advises customers to practice electrical safety measures
Short link: https://wp.me/paaccn-mh2
MANDALUYONG CITY, September 25, 2022 — The Manila Electric Company (Meralco) said today its systems and personnel are ready to immediately respond to power outages that may result from Typhoon Karding (international name: Noru).
“As a 24–hour service company, we are ready to respond to these types of emergency. Our crews are on standby to attend to any trouble that may affect our facilities in areas that might be hit by the typhoon,” Meralco Vice President and Head of Corporate Communications Joe R. Zaldarriaga said.
(As of 3:21 p.m. today, September 25, the National Telecommunications Commission — NTC — has put out text blast information, saying that Metro Manila is now under Typhoon Signal No. 4 and that strong winds are expected in the next 12 hours. The NTC urged everyone to be careful. –– SDN)
Zaldarriaga added that Meralco has put in place necessary measures to mitigate the possible impact of the typhoon, including issuance of advisories on appropriate precautionary measures.
“Meralco has consistently requested billboard owners and operators to temporarily roll their billboards up to prevent these structures from being toppled by the strong winds,” Zaldarriaga said. Billboards that fall into electrical facilities are among the main reasons for power outages whenever there are strong winds.
Apart from these measures, Meralco also gave safety tips on using electrical devices and appliances in case there will be flooding.
Here are the Meralco safety tips:
- Ensure that the main electrical power switch or circuit breaker is off. Be sure to be dry when being in contact with any electrical facility.
- Unplug appliances from wall sockets. Turn off permanently connected equipment and unscrew all light bulbs if possible.
- Remove mud and dirt from service equipment or main circuit breaker/fuse and its enclosure using rubber gloves and rubber-soled shoes.
- Make sure that all electrical wires, connectors, and other wiring devices are completely dry.
- When all electrical wires and accessories have dried and are clean, the wiring system of all appliances must be checked by a licensed electrician. Do not turn on flood-damaged electrical appliances.
Zaldarriaga also urged the public to keep all channels of communication open and ready and charge mobile phones, laptops, radios, and other communication gadgets. Customers may tune in to the different public service radio stations should power interruptions occur.
To report power outages and other concerns, customers may reach Meralco through its official social media pages on Facebook (www.facebook.com/meralco) and Twitter (@meralco). They may also text their concerns to 0920-9716211 and 0917-5516211 or contact the Meralco Hotline at 16211 and 8631-1111. (/)